We were asked by Alpine District Cubs to post this blog post here and store their PDF file for them...
For Roundtable this month, our Core Value was Health and Fitness. We made campfire neckerchief slides, and we also made First Aid Kit neckerchief slides. I have seen whole dens at Day Camp wearing these. Then, if a boy needs a band aid, he has one and can put it on. It can also pass off having a first aid kit for the younger boys.
To make these, you will need:
- film canisters
- first aid stickers I made and saved as a PDF you can print here (see below for what kind of labels, then print, and cut each label in half) or look at the bottom of the page for a jpg picture of it you can cut & paste if you don't want to print 60 above.
- band aids - I gave them 4 different sizes
- alcohol packets (I got 100 at Walmart for $1.99)
- black pipe cleaners (I cut into 1/3)
- safety pin
- and I also had them put in a Jolly Rancher Candy
- They used to put in 25 cents for a payphone - times have changed :)
I used a drill with a 3/32 drill bit to drill 2 small holes in the back of the film cannister.
Then put in the black pipe cleaners, and twist the very ends, then fold the ends back so it won't poke you while you wear it.
Once you have in the pipe cleaner, and know where the back of the film canister is, put the first aid sticker on the front.
Stack the bandaids - I gave them one of each of 4 sizes, fold the alcohol packet in half and place it on top of the stack, then roll it up like a sleeping bag.
Place them in the container, add the safety pin and Jolly Rancher candy, and put the lid on. You are done. Hope you enjoy!